Thursday, September 2, 2010

Guard your heart against the media.....

I have to tell you that one of my favorite speakers is Joyce Meyer. I just absolutely love her. She is so full of God's wisdom! Last night as I watching her program on T.V. she touched on something that I brought up in my last blog.....guarding your heart. I can not stress enough how important that is. One of the things that God has been revealing to me about my heart is that I need to guard it against the media.

Romans 2:1-2 tells us...... So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. (The Message)

And there it is in BIG BOLD letters, don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Oh how I have struggled with this especially when it comes to the media. The other night as I was sitting there all by myself (Cade was asleep and Trev was at a fantasy football draft) I found myself having a conversation with God about what I was about to watch. I wanted to watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey. For those of you who do not know this show is about rich women. Some of them stay home and some of them work but mostly they just bicker with one another! And bickering they do. They can really be just awful to one another. As I was about to turn it on I heard God say to me "Why do you want to watch that?" Talk about stopping me dead in my tracks. Then I did something rather funny, I began to rationalize with God about how I was just simply watching T.V. and there was no harm in that. I obviously was not thinking. I even rationalized it further with God by saying that lots of people watch it. I was clearly not thinking about Romans. God so graciously whispered to me but Kara you are not a lot of people. You are my chosen daughter and I have called you into a life that has a higher standard then that of this world. Obviously there was no getting around it was just not something I needed to be watching and I turned it off.

I think sometimes has Christians we forget that we are held to a higher standard. For me, sometimes I wish we were not! That higher standard can be so hard to live by. We have to fix our eyes on God constantly to live by that standard. I think over time this has gotten increasing harder with introduction of the media. Our televisions, radios, cd players, ipods, and computers can all be filled with things that distract from this higher standard. I urge all of you to be watchful of the media. Be careful what you listen to or watch. Do not let the devil convince you that watching a show just one time is not going to hurt anything! We need to filling our eyes and ears with Jesus. We need to be placing our WHOLE lives as an offering to God and that includes the media we allow into our lives.

For me, I will seeking God on what is acceptable to watch or listen to. I can not continue to allow wordly standards define that. While I know this is not an easy task and I may stumble and fall at times, the more I practice this the easier it will become. So my practice starts today! :) I hope you will join me in that.

Blessings to all you!

Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment